Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is my all time favorite holiday, which is why I am beyond excited that I was able to celebrate it three different times this year! First was my "Friendly Thanksgiving" (below) next was the Clear Channel Feast and finally, my family Thanksgiving gathering at my parent's house. The best thing about Thanksgiving is that you take seemingly healthy foods like green beans, sweet potatoes, cranberries, etc. and add artery clogging goodness to them. There's nothing better than a dish with butter, honey, cheese, and something fried (but not all together)!

For the Clear Channel Feast each member of the station family brought a different dish, I must say that my personal favorite was the stuffing that my manager, Barb, brought. It was made with chestnuts and some sort of sausage- my grandmother always makes the world's greatest cornbread stuffing, but it was great to get to try something new! Alejandro brought home made (well, not made in his home, but made in some other home and sold to him in a parking lot) tamales, which were outstanding and made me wish for a Mexican heritage to call my own. My contribution was a whipped sweet potato and banana dish that I have been making for my own family for the last few years. Unfortunately, I would not be able to make it for our annual gathering as my cousin discovered she is allergic to bananas! I was happy to be able to once again enjoy it with my coworkers, though.
Lou V. getting ready to dig in at the CCR&O staff Thanksgiving!


This is the easiest thing in the world to make, and everyone always loves it!
What you'll need:
4-5 medium sweet potatoes
4 bananas
1 stick softened butter
1/2C honey
Topping:
1 & 1/2C chopped pecans
1 stick of softened butter
3/4C dark brown sugar
1/2C all purpose flower

Roast 4 or 5 medium sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 for about an hour, then toss in 4 bananas and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes and bananas from the oven, but don't turn the oven off.

While letting the potatoes and bananas cool, mix 1 & 1/2C chopped pecans, 1 softened stick of butter, 3/4C dark brown sugar, and 1/2C all purpose flour. This will be the topping, and it works best to just mix it together by hand.

When the potatoes and bananas are cool enough to handle, scoop the insides out in to a large mixing bowl, add 1/2C honey, and one stick of butter and whip until well mixed and smooth.Transfer to a greased, oven safe dish, cover with
topping and bake for about 30 minutes or until heated through.

State Fair Green Bean Casserole
For my family gathering I always make the same green bean casserole. It is always a big hit, and I'm pretty sure it's because it's about one step up from the food they sell on the midway. My dear friend, John Sawyer, and his mother came up with this one year and we've been making it ever since. It originally called for Kraft Garlic Cheese rolls, but they have since been discontinued. To make due, I've used a different fake cheese and two jars of minced garlic along with garlic powder. I find it's best to buy the garlic already minced, the fresh stuff is just to high class for this dish.

What you need:
6 cans french cut green beans
1 large Velveeta (don't be a wimp and get the reduced fat stuff)
2 jars minced garlic
2 cans sliced water chestnuts, chopped in the food processor
4 small cans Cream of Mushroom soup
3 large cans french fried onions
Garlic powder to taste

Melt the Velveeta and garlic together in a large pot, add green beans, water chestnuts, mushroom soup and 2 cans of the french fried onions. Mix well and heat through. Pour mixture in to a large, greased baking dish and cover with the final can of french fried onions. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly! Serve hot!

I like to make this the night before and let it set up in the fridge. Set it out on the counter and bring to room temp, then bake at 350 for 30 minutes right before serving. How can you not love something with that much fake cheese and fried goodness!?

No comments:

Post a Comment