Monday, November 16, 2009

Make it fast, Cook it slow...

Finally, I decided to attempt to make a nice dinner...only problem? I work until 5:30 and like to work out post-work...so what's a girl to do? The answer: a Crock Pot, some frozen chicken breasts, store bought pesto, a couple pieces of cheese and some sweet potatoes.

I found this dinner idea while I was surfing around the web trying to find a use for the bag of frozen chicken that I really, really needed to use. It originally called for home made pesto, but considering the state of basil this time of year, I just went with the store bought stuff. Here's how it goes:

4 chicken breasts (frozen or fresh)
4 slices of mozzarella cheese
2 small jars of pesto sauce
4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and pricked with a fork


In your Crock Pot:
Place frozen chicken breasts (I used 3 because I ran of out room) at the bottom, put a slice of mozzarella cheese on each breast and dump two small containers of pesto sauce on top. Then put a layer of aluminum foil over the chicken and place the sweet potatoes on top. Put the lid on the pot and switch it on low for about 8 hours. My crock pot automatically switches to "keep warm" once the timer goes off, but some older models might not.

That's it...when I got home from work my house smelled so good that I was tempted to skip the gym and just eat dinner right then and there. Fortunately, I had already told my guests what time dinner was served, so I couldn't be rude and start without them! Dinner was incredible and it's definitely staying on the list to make again soon!

The great thing about crock pot cooking is that you decide early on what you're going to make, throw it in and when you get home from work you are all set to go...no need to run through the fast food place.

Next up: Cranberry Stuffing and Turkey breast for our Friends Thanksgiving Celebration....

No comments:

Post a Comment